We need your ideas and/or suggestions!

Scarebear / 2 decades ago (06 January 2003 11:19)

We are playing with the idea of taking Skinbase to the next level. Skinbase v3. But before we get really ´into´ it, we´d like to hear what the active Skinbase members would like to see in the next version of Skinbase. Any ideas at all. We will try to put together the best site we can using the best ideas (workable) provided by you.

This will probably be a radical change in site design as well, so go wild Happy

If you find it best to sketch design ideas etc, please don´t upload them. Just email them to an admin. Preferably gRAVE as he´ll be coding the site of course Wink

Let the suggestions flow!

Post replies:

1 decade ago (26.05.2005 06:14)
Reply by: kingosoul
In my opinion, we have lost a great number of active members from skinbase, dont know why but i think that definatly has to be fixed.

I think you should add in a javascript popup window when you get a new private message to promote its usage a little more.

Also i think the newsletter should start going out again as from what i can see it went out for the first 2 weeks of the site opening and then stopped completely and hasnt started back up again. Even if it is an automatically php generated news letter i think it would be better than nothing.

Another thing that could be done is a increase in the abilites of the forum so that you can quote, delete and edit your posts.

Also clean up the side navigations cause i mean we still have results from the KaZaA competition from ages ago and i mean they dont even work anymore as they were all written for a much earlier version of KaZaA that cant even be used on thier network anymore.
1 decade ago (27.05.2005 08:36)
Reply by: Scarebear
This thread is YEARS old.... :sb
1 decade ago (27.05.2005 05:11)
Reply by: Snowman
Well, Jason... might be years old but we just picked up work again on updating Skinbase Grin
1 decade ago (30.05.2005 07:42)
Reply by: Scarebear
Hooray then Wink Fingers crossed...
1 decade ago (31.05.2005 01:50)
Reply by: PK
Again? ;-)
1 decade ago (31.05.2005 03:02)
Yes
1 decade ago (10.06.2005 06:37)
Reply by: Gregor
I´m going to read all posts here right now Happy It´ll take some time ... LOL
1 decade ago (12.12.2005 04:02)
Reply by: GeorgeH
Get rid of the "WinFixer" pop up. See the other posting in this section.
1 decade ago (12.12.2005 09:50)
Get a proper pop-up blocker.
1 decade ago (12.12.2005 06:46)
Reply by: TAXIFUNK
My firefox blocks a bit better than IE6´s SP2 blocker, must I admit I dont use professional ones. The popup deal seems to be a bit messy to get removed completely, I can only guess why that is, but its none of my business, a corporate thing. My guess would be they would have to change the whole site name or something which you want to avoid with something that established traffic for almost a decade when counting all stages. Of course, in future subsites, many of which are worked upon or planned, that should be considered if possible.

If a user wants to start out with comments worth mentioning and is a skinner, not a wall, art or image uploader, so he doesn´t always get millions of comments, hey might be sad to loose the complete name SkinBase, wouldn´t he? But these are just shots in the dark. If my bandwidths ok, I block, login, and disable macromedia flash at least I can work fast. My anti programs do the rest. For nice looks, though, I prefer the normal settings and just loggin in if its about short things or fun. :car

And luckily I don´t feel the companies powering the server are worried about money. Traffic is also good in my eyes on SkinBase, look at other sites, THEIR FUTURE PLANS (often developing much more into a commercial or premium thing only) and skinning in general. Skinning in general isn´t as bad either, the new icon format in example and some other things might even be stimulating. Activity per member went up, and new sites and looks are being developed or expanding. Good enough for me to enjoy a holiday or 2.
1 decade ago (04.10.2006 06:56)
Reply by: contractartist
I would like to be able to brouse by author. Grin
1 decade ago (04.10.2006 08:42)
Wink Unless I misunderstand you this works already: Search mask in upper left of all pages have a fourth line for users, then click the author you want in search results, his/her profile page shows up, then click gallery. On pages then showing you can sort that gallery by views and orders you like

What we dont have is complete alphabetic listing but if you know the name its fine. And of course you can first enter sections you like in general, lets say icons, or abstract wallz, and find authors you like there
1 decade ago (04.10.2006 10:07)
Reply by:
This site is great. The only thing that I can think of is it would be very nice to have in place a stopper if somebody exceeds a daily upload limit. The other day, 4 uploads were submitted to photos, and the 4th in the series was featured. I knew this because I was surfing the site, and could see all these in succession on the main page. Deserved, BUT....its like a contest that has to have all entries in my midnight of a certain day. Then, one slips through past the deadline, and is selected as the winner. Tell me, how would the ones who played by the rules feel about that one? Do you see the principle here?

In the game of life its nice to play to win, its even nicer to play by the rules. This site has rules, and they should be properly enforced. If exceeded uploads cannot be recognized immediately, then they should be discarded as soon as they are. That would include a feature. Thats how I feel, and If one of my works was featured but a violation of an upload limit rule, then I would expect no different for myself. Discard it.

Be well - thanks for reading my rant. I´m better now. :-))

1 decade ago (04.10.2006 11:11)
Reply by:
I just noticed.... why is this old thread even up?? 2003??? I wasted my time with my previous rant.... OH WELL!!!
1 decade ago (05.10.2006 03:37)
No biggie - reactivated by contractartist who probably noticed after posting other thread of his that topic already existed + tried to channel more correctly. Fact, good to get feedback this way every once and a while. We might have a more recent similar thread which is easier to edit when double posts occur but anyway:

Staff takes turns and overlap each other from Australia, Greece, USA has SEVEN times zones, France, Germany Denmark etc. Might depend on when the 24 hr limit begins.

Of course there can be a day or 2 when server or whos online when suddenly make no or 3 mods online. In phases during which less staff are around and they feel like lonesome rangers holding a fort and are glad their own browser and providers work again or whatever they might improvise and assume their own midnight after which another 2 might be a matter of decision. If you see MORE than TWICE the daily upload in a row or 48 hrs though, meaning 5 photos in less than 48 hrs and none belong to a skinning suite for which separate rules apply, please send a report pm or thread. Sometimes old members who are already trusted just didnt know or remember changed limits and release themselves unless we get reports, soon winter savings effects change when who has midnight where in stages. Might be automated one day but scripting sounds like a big thing with all the time zones involved and they are always rescripting 30 sites for all kinds of things anyway. Hang on.

As to featuring which is done by admins, not mods currently, beginners sometimes get a bit of a boosting welcome bonus around here for encouragement while the very next day something OLD unusual or nice or NEW and really advanced can show in the feature I think. Feel free to contact the admins though with links to this specific case, or head moderator kchristine who might know who decided what or relay it to who does when presented with detailed info in a pm or something Happy

Update: Think I saw which one u mean, refers to one featured now. Think its a new member not experienced with upload mask yet - the instructions to which I am trying to work into an interactive guided tour which might be released a bit later if it works as planned. You can see download buttons werent assigned to separate skin files which is misleading in upload mask (not necessary for jpg, skin file, which is basically BAD if not wrong, you CAN and SHOULD if available include bigger or multisizes in skin file including permits even in jpg sections like screenshotos or photos in ADDITION to preview but dont have to). But the image looks nice and btw congrats on your own recent feature. I know you work real hard and have a lot at stake - and then something else is featured you feel it might not compare to or whatever. In this case I just dont know, when was midnight, who approved - and did new member know himself if automatically trusted after a certain amount of uploads. As said, some come back after a while and dont read everything they missed. Keep watching and asking, sometimes Sally might know about the midnight but she doesnt feature either, 2 separate things (on this site)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9