BIG Problem with Litestep... pls. help !

Lettmennli / 2 decades ago (09 March 2002 11:00)

lo all,

after I installed LiteStep on WinXP and i didnt liked it, I decided to deinstall it...

After deinstalling and rebooting, I see the XP Logon screen whos loadin my personal settings...

After this, i get a screen with just my background and not more.. no Icons no Startmenue etc. Just a background... even Explorer isnt running.. how can I reactivate my original desktop ?

Greets Lett

Post replies:

2 decades ago (09.03.2002 11:34)
Reply by: +0
Were you running Litestep when you uninstalled it?

I ask because I´ve seen that done with IceSphere and it was a matter of changing...which .ini file is that that sets explorer as the shell....shell.ini??? Not sure....in any case, we had to type in explorer as IceSphere was still set as the shell.

GrimSpoon is the person who´ll best be able to help you with this...LiteStep is his thing. Grin
2 decades ago (10.03.2002 12:16)
Reply by: plastic
2 decades ago (10.03.2002 03:26)
Reply by: grimspoon
heh.. you have lost your shell.8)

Log intoyour WINXP admin account and changed the registry entries in the link provided by plastic above. Next time, use ´shell switcher´ program before you attempt to install any shell replacements.
2 decades ago (10.03.2002 06:05)
Reply by: TALON
I´ll hazard a guess and say boot up with your E disk and type in help a DOS based text editor will come up then chosse file and open C\windows\system.ini and on the line that say´s shell= put in explorer.exe
that´s if the XP set up is simular to Win98 SE and Grimspoon is very right in saying get a shell switcher before tamering with any aftermarket shell replacement,... LS Distro comes with a shell switcher and sevral themes you can switch between on the fly it´s perfect some one new to LS and it completely installs it self.
2 decades ago (10.03.2002 07:45)
Reply by: Jafo
Talon is not quite right....system.ini is for 9x....whereas XP is NT-based and the settings are in the registry.
If you can access your taskmanager, you could run ShellON.exe [a shell switching proggy] and it will solve your problem, loading itself as the ´shell´ and allowing you to then boot into explorer [the default ´Doze shell].

Always use a shell loader with XP....[I knew I didn´t like those ´STEP installers]...Wink
2 decades ago (11.03.2002 03:07)
I´ve never actually had this situation myself.. so I had to recreate it. 8)

I´ve booted into my XP account, but no shell.. hmm, what do you do?

Alt-Ctl-Del.. bring up Task Manager, choose New Task, type Regedit, look through registry..
Locate this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
If it doesn´t exist, create a string value called ´Shell´

Set the ´Shell´ string to : x:\path_to_ls\litestep.exe
or
Set the ´Shell´ string to : explorer.exe

Reboot.

hmm.. thats even easier then I thought 8)

2 decades ago (12.03.2002 09:37)
Reply by: craeonics
The spoon wins the washing machine! Now about them Shell Managers, go read my Tek article!
2 decades ago (12.03.2002 03:03)
Reply by: Doreen
Once upon a time, there was a Dutch guy named craeonics and he lived in Nether Nether land, and he wrote articles (Well a few) one of them was for this very purpose...

[LINK]

go read... =)

The End
2 decades ago (12.03.2002 04:06)
Reply by: craeonics
*cough*all that was written before I had XP though and I have yet to switch shells in it*cough*
2 decades ago (12.03.2002 04:12)
Reply by: Doreen
Once upon a time, there was a Dutch guy named craeonics and he lived far far away in Nether Nether land, and he wrote articles (Well a few) one of them was for this very purpose...

but he did not test and switch shells after he got XP, sooooo
he said beware! to the little skinners that may take heed to his advise in his article

[LINK]

go read... =)

The End
2 decades ago (12.03.2002 06:07)
Reply by: Snowman
hmmm.... I wonder why I never have problems with Hoverdesk.... :moon
:snow
2 decades ago (12.03.2002 09:27)
snow.. it´s because Hoverdesk is ´not´ a shel replacemet, it sits on top of the explorer shell and actually adds 25MB to your 27MB explorer load. OK.. that makes it 52MB´s of memory used just so you can have a few shortcuts on your desktop?

:moon

my LS shell install fits on a floopy disk :p
2 decades ago (12.03.2002 09:37)
and Crae, Litespawn ´hates´ fast user switching on XP, I wouldn´t recommend it.. I´
m testing ShellOn ATM. 8)
2 decades ago (12.03.2002 11:49)
Reply by: Jafo
Grim...ShellON is ´the go´ for XP...Wink