Like a swamp ? Photographer

/ 1 decade ago (30 January 2007 03:02)

I have always put myself aside of discussions and/or threads that in a way or the other, showed disagreements towards the way SB is administrated, I am here since 2002 with a purpose: to share and to make friends, objectives that I reached. Nevertheless and as a REGULAR MEMBER - not as a Staff member - I could not let pass the overall feeling that I have of a not so good " ambiance" here at SB. Or because some valued members are leaving or showed more than one time their intentions to leave ( all are valuable members ) or because some discussions I see - without interfeering - that questions in many ways - some in an absolute academic and not rational manner - the way the site is administrated, - or even the reasons administrators do give - I have to say something about this. I own two sites and "communities" - portuguese - bike and gastronomy related. I am the only ruler but I hear opinnions being that only 15% or 20% of those opinnions are well attended by myself.Why ? Because things are always mooving forward and because people do feel that I am a very "cold" , fair guy, as I put all my emotions out of the way when " managing" anything in my life, specially matters that involves other people.That said - just to position myself clearly in this thread - SB is...what we want it to be..because we are PART of SB. There are members that are here for many years, and there are members that " just arrived", being that these "rookies" must be encouraged in a transparent manner and without any possible suspicion on how things are dealt with. I, as a member, do want a lively , cristal clearwater SB site, not a swamp where every "frog" is just awaiting for that " imprudent" fly, to catch it. So...what is wrong here? What shall be done and most important: why should be done? Instead of getting aggravation with each others, lets be united and try to solve things out. We deserve it, SB deserves it. Over and out. Photographer

Post replies:

1 decade ago (01.02.2007 01:44)
Reply by: MountainHawk
Exactly Artur and I agree with you too Jacob. Congratulation Cool Wink
1 decade ago (01.02.2007 02:01)
Reply by:
Was Nikos that invited me to be part of the staff of SB. I have had always for him - and still do - all the respect and a good friendship along the net for the past 4 years and I´ve never let that other matters would interfere with that. Friendship is like that: accept the other as he is, no more no less.We can give our opinions with respect and friendship. Happy Photographer Beer
1 decade ago (02.02.2007 12:54)
I agree with you entirely Artur and I was always of the same opinion.....that opinion has now changed. Congratulation Cool Wink
1 decade ago (02.02.2007 12:58)
I do accept others as they are except in matters that encroach on my boundaries. Some behaviour I will not tolerate. My rules are simple. Do what you like as long as you cause no harm to self or others. Simple really. I walk with people of the same ilk. Congratulation Cool Wink
1 decade ago (02.02.2007 05:49)
In addition to what you said of accepting people as they are Artur,and after consulting with others I have arrived at the following position. Nikos has had ample opportunity to participate in this thread and has not. We have to accept that. Nikos as co owner of the side can structure and implement whatever policies he sees fit and take whatever actions he likes. That is his right also. I personally do not agree with how things are nor how they have been dealt with . That is my view on it all. At the end of the day the only course we have is to follow. Given the current circumstances and given what is currently in place and what has been said I am of the view that if I wish to remain here I cannot run the risk of inadvertently causing offence or insult real or percieved. I wish to remain here. I therefore feel I cannot be as open as I would like and therefore withdraw from this discussion and this thread. I thank you for what you are trying to achieve and ,I do, as you know, value and appreciate your friendship.I cannot discuss things honestly at present so I would not be giving you a correct response Artur. I feel restricted. Sorry. Congratulation Cool Wink
1 decade ago (02.02.2007 06:36)
Reply by:
Oh well :p it is how it is... Photographer This site was once in an archaic state, now it has become hellenistic. Such is life !
1 decade ago (02.02.2007 07:24)
lol lol lol lol Congratulation
1 decade ago (02.02.2007 10:20)
Reply by:
Good morning. After reading what you´ve both said, I only say this: of course that if we want to stay here we have to go along the rules and behaviours of admins, wether we like it or not. As I´ve said in LevelX thread, he was free to leave as he was free to join. So do we. And if we stay, is because we have the freewill to do so and because no matter things are run here, we do feel OK at Skinbase. Wether Nikos has read this thread of not, he has the right - as you said Iain - to participate or not in it. And from my personal point of view, I do not judge him - or anyone else - of taking that kind of approach, although I am a completely different kind of person as I allways do have an answer to what questions and or problems people do confront me, even if I do give a stupid answer - which is not very common on me. But as my personal quote: " No better or worse, just different " ,we all are different from eachothers and we can not expect others reactions or behaviours to be like ours and anyone is worst than us, just because they do not meet our expectations. As said, this is my own way of seeing friendship and respect others positions.However we also have the right - as we did here with no agravation to anyone - to speak frankly on how we feel things should be. Over and out. Congratulation to the participants on this thread. Photographer Cool
1 decade ago (02.02.2007 11:04)
From my experience Speaking frankly is unnacceptable here Artur and that is why I withdrew. Congratulation Cool Wink
1 decade ago (02.02.2007 12:09)
Reply by:
Artur, this will be my last post on this thread. The issue has been adressed, but not been dealt with. That is sad :o
I consider Nikos as a friend, the admin with the same name and a different role is a different matter. He has to be accountable to all members for his actions. In a democracy there is no person that doesn´t do that, it will be recognized as dictatorship. Regardless of how you think of him sometimes friends need to be corrected or at least made aware of things. It would be a disaster if in a community no one gets corrected. You may correct me anytime, whether it is work or behaviour. We talk and don´t play deaf ears.
I still do think that featuring one person 5 times in a row is over the top and featuring 2 persons for over 2 months, while also one of them was being featured as artist of the month is too much for comfort. I stick to that belief.
I joined SB because at WC the admins were favouring their own people and admins above a lot of other good artists. I have always seen that as unfair. Now it is happening to SB in my view. I have no connections with Fred or Iain, but I will always defend powerless people. I thought this site with (good) admins was able to deal with it in a mature manner. However I have been proven wrong, instead 2 people are feeling humiliated and disappointed while a third has used his sitetools and is probably very happy. If he is not happy it´s even a worse situation. Another one got sleepless nights.
This all could have been prevented if there was a genuine will to look at the issue. There isn´t. Photographer
So, with quoting you - over and out. Running
1 decade ago (02.02.2007 12:17)
Reply by:
Well, I never had that experience Iain , probably because I was allways aside of these kind of issues and conversations. Will see in the future if I´ll have some surprises. But as my friends and family members use to say, I have to have allways the last word, so I do not mind to start an endless conversation, but I am the first to withdraw, when I find that others do have valuable and logical reasons and arguments. Happy Cool Wink
1 decade ago (02.02.2007 11:57)
Sometimes we find we do not have far to look if we raise our gaze above the fenceline. Congratulation Cool Wink The evidence is there if we allow ourselves to see it. Some principles and beliefs are worth standing up for. Turning the other cheek is fine but I never hang around for the second slap.
1 decade ago (04.02.2007 02:27)
Reply by: adni18
I was busy installing and uninstalling Windows Vista... beautiful OS but too many problems, maybe after one year I will try to re-install Vista again.

So, I didn´t noticed this thread.

I will try to make things clear.
I am not taking any profit from my participation in Skinbase, I just offering my service and my time to the skinning community and to my friend Gregor, the only owner of this site.

The choice of the featured works are having ONLY the following criterion: QUALITY with fairness for ALL members, no mater who they are!

How long it stays a featured work? As long as it takes to have uploaded a descent work who deserves to take the place of the previous featured work.

All the rest thoughts about the featured skins are wrong and in a way or another are insults, unless you are not enough sensitive to see it.

No problem though, everyone has the right to speak his/her mind as long as he/she speaks with politeness and fairness.

You like to see the system of Featured Works changing? No problem, if you have good ideas we can discuss them.
Accusing other people though for wrong ways, is not the best way to ask for changes, don´t you think so?
Yes Jacob you are my friend, but you could write me instead of playing the Robin the Hood in public Wink

Any way, we will appreciate your ideas about featured works, I will start a new poll about it ASAP

Peace and Booming love brothers and sisters!
1 decade ago (04.02.2007 06:47)
Each persons reaction and interpretation is their own responsibility. If more than one person is illuminating the same thoughts then maybe the current way is wrong. Accusations can be,from my own experience, things I do not want to hear. At least we have moved to a position of discussing it and I thank you for that Nikos. Congratulation Cool Wink clap clap clap
1 decade ago (04.02.2007 07:38)
Just re reading what you wrote Nikos. Jacob I would imagine wrote in the public forum because it is a public issue. We cannot expect from others what we do not practice ourselves and I say that in the friendliest fashion in regards to your statement about insults and your need to "tag" Jacob as Robin Hood. Put downs will get us nowhere and I suggest we all learn to treat each other as equals and with respect. If we view every fault that people find in our behaviour as an accusation we will never grow or get anywhere. I like to look at what anyone says is wrong with a critical eye and see if maybe there is any truth in what the person is saying. If they are correct then I change to make things better. The criticism given is not a personal attack Nikos. It is observations made that are being passed on to you to facillitate change and thus make things better. Life is not an easy process and some of us need to develop thicker skins instead of being so sensitive. I have no animosity toward you Nikos.....just a hope that we can move on and move the site up to a better position without personalities getting in the way. I agree with you peace is what is required....not actions born of anger. Congratulation Cool Wink Booming love
1 2 3