McAfee site advisor

/ 1 decade ago (27 May 2006 02:01)

McAfee is giving this site a red flag because it is linked to celebstation.org which compromises net security and can damage your system. Thought management should know this.

Post replies:

1 decade ago (27.05.2006 02:27)
Reply by: sed
Heads Up........... :o :o :o
1 decade ago (27.05.2006 02:52)
Reply by: nadgerry
i´m outta here!!!!!! Fun Fun Grin Grin
1 decade ago (27.05.2006 02:54)
Reply by: MountainHawk
I regularly sweep my system after being here because of all the tracking cookies I pick up.....highest score so far has been 19. Not a good look for the site! Congratulation
1 decade ago (27.05.2006 03:14)
Reply by: mickeblue
Weird thing I find is my pc doesn´t hang on to SB cookies and I have to log in every time I open it in a new window (?). It never used to do this... but I can´t find anything on the system that appears compromised. Having said all that the celebstation thing is the absolute pits.
1 decade ago (27.05.2006 06:33)
Just fixed my system to block cookies from here...casalemedia,fastclick,tribalfusion and target....those are the ones I have identified so far.
1 decade ago (27.05.2006 07:03)
Reply by: TAXIFUNK
Firefox 1.53 blocks as well as 1.07 which I was using last week after login. Sorry, BlackWater. No one deserves this to happen. On the other hand, McAffee + some companies (whos products I used to like in the early days; it always changes) sort of live off dramatic reports themselves.

For me right now I just try to see the good things - no sidebars here now, no paysite either. Might change 1 day - all these aspects. Then I will miss the other opposite.

Admit though - why stay unregistered? Makes it harder on yourself when downloading commenting or uploading. And I still like the stuff + folks here :heart

Still I agreed with Sally to put in on internal discussion reminder lists for the next staff get - together. Then I will see what comes out of it + we will automatically be in touch if there is news (or in the next understandable thread like this, aggh).

I do regret the unhappiness about it (and monitor my registry with ad-aware) meanwhile.

1 decade ago (27.05.2006 10:06)
Reply by: kchristine
Yeah Taxi me and AdAware also. You can find very few websites any more that you don´t pick something up. I just run it every day or two and it takes care of everything. Booming love
1 decade ago (28.05.2006 01:47)
Whilst I agree with you Sally and Taxi and whilst I am sure we all undoubtedly appreciate your support and the site being here I still question the need for such things when in this day and age it irritates people so much and really is unnecessary. It is also counterproductive to attracting people to the site. I would have thought it better to attract as many people as possible to the site. I am sure if you visited someones house and discovered you were under surveillance in that persons house,with every move you made in that house being monitored you would not feel too comfortable being there nor be in any hurry to return.
1 decade ago (28.05.2006 06:48)
Question is - how to get it not just removed. That´s easy (at least when some contract is over or whatever). Its about what other deal to get and whom not offend by getting the NEW deal so as not to loose MORE old things, too (just a theory of mine, I neither own the sites nor am I in charge of marketing + corporate things).

Meanwhile, I am doing some research on McAffee pages - just found this on their front page. Its about the winfixer thing, also discussed in several threads before. Read CLOSELY please; it says is a hassle and might be dubious, which we all know ourselves.

But it also says is not a virus or trojan.

[LINK]

It´s exactly what THEY are looking for + finding it makes THEIR living. And we are glad people like them watch these things. But with or without McAffee I cant just go surfing unprotected. Could just as well go bathing in the wrong season + part of Australia without paying attention to local signs on the beach.

The solution for that will be different for each user, though. A matter of taste. Why? Simply because the protection ALSO is involved with disadvantages. Needs updating, sometimes money, time, testing (each year something else is the best). And the protection often slows down your system and clashes with other programs. We all know this, too. Do we admit it often? No. We just think it sounds good to say to our neighbors: Hey, new alert type. Me cool, me read it somewhere. U didnt. Then we go back to our little chambers + secretely spend money or at least time + resources with more versions and fighting more viruses etc. Don´t we?

I am exaggerating a bit to get my point across fast. I am big fan of the artists in this thread + appreciate their work. I will tell you what more I found out and have sent some messages internally. It might take a while for that to change what we want to see changed. But you are right, at least we should have a standpoint + way of handling it, EACH of us.
1 decade ago (28.05.2006 08:35)
The fundamental principle here is a computer is an extension of someones own personal private domain. Do we allow uninvited guests into our homes? Do we submissively allow them to stay without removing or attempting to remove them? Is home invasion okay? This is the principle Taxi. We as owners of our computers are entitled to expect people to knock before entering. Not simply invite themselves in and then offload whatever they like and in the process destabilise our system by placing something onboard that screws with the smooth running of it. I don´t care about marketing or what promoters do as long as they do not invade my computer full stop......it is simply morally and ethically wrong and taking liberties they simply would not get away with putting the same actions to work in other areas of life. They are simply space invaders and unwanted trespassers in privately owned computers.
1 decade ago (29.05.2006 12:07)
Morally (and often legally, too, I would think) - you are right. Which would mean if you + I were consequent about this and it was our main priority in deciding which sites to visit: What are we doing here?

It would be a shame to loose contact because of this.

Guess we all dream of doing it better when running paysites of our own, if that ever happens. But its no coincidence that I am not in the position to do that now. Life´s tricky, isn´t it? In my case, I would have had to start living with much more self discipline years ago. Saving money, learning to be a programmer. All kinds of things.

Even if you do that, the net seems full of politics + marketing aspects. Hard to just stumble in + grow by coincidence. What I would like of course, maybe pop UNDERS, a bit less aggressive etc. Don´t know whether thats short term reality or a dream. Using the site´s reality for me now. Glad you are doing the same thing.

In the past I just reckoned oh well, they know best themselves, its not a new topic. But there´s no harm in talking about it so I will try to do that. Running

We sort of live in a medium good district of a city. In our house, we can enter our appartment and then lock the door. But on the ground floor, someone always
opens the door to a solicitor or dubious or good mailman or delivery boy. This I also have on other sites, even paysites. With other intruder types.

I also normally cleanup iviewbox or what its called, intellitext, webalize, telegraph.uk, usenext (not usenet). Cant say where its from though, too many sites I frequent. And xiti cookies. Just for the records. Used to get burst.net warnings. It varies a bit. Some of these were harmless. And some spam I will always get. Its just not always completely retraceable or not without loosing time. Exchanging info is not a bad thing.

Today I realized I have at least 3 places where it lands - inside firefox, under local settings - username - cookies, and under windows/cookies. Getting hungry after all this mentioning of pastry, might as well go and eat a few..
1 decade ago (03.06.2006 03:35)
Reply by:
politics, politics Sad Lately, when I load this site, my virusprogram deletes yieldmanager (adware) from here. Not all popups are blocked with the blocker, some still peep through when the "zoom" buttin is clicked. I can add to this discussion, that visiting sites is like visiting stores or looking through displaywindows...The reality of the net, is however, that it stalks you back to your mailbox and does phishing about your lifestyle...which is an annoyance. Grin Saying why do you visit this site anyway is not helping to keep your regular visitors coming back is it?
1 decade ago (03.06.2006 04:39)
U right, that zoom is weird. That I should REALLY inquire about. The other day when browsing cool wallpapers (some nice stuff from the old days, some double entries, needs cleanup like we been doing on many sites, comments etc.) - I didnt even see where to login. No wonder I didnt run out of cookies that night. Not good either. In comparison, SB is off better at the moment.

But NEEDS some changes whether free or pay site. Should be consequent inside its own strategy. When you read close, here it does say LESS ads, not ad free. But I think when the other 30 sites allow some more time, a lot of which has been spent here, not the other sites, we should target at either clean paysite or at least clean after log in phase.