Optimize & Reduce Size Of Images For Web (Faster Upload=Faster Download)

AM.FX / 1 decade ago (13 April 2006 11:17)

Optimize & Reduce Size Of Images For Web (Faster Upload=Faster Download)

Some Times We Need To Reduce The Size Of Image For Faster Upload , Load , ...
For Example In Web Design You Must Optimize The Size Of Images That Use On A web Page.

I Test Some Software like Bryce , 3D Max , Maya , Screen Capture Software , ... And The Result in 1024*768 Is Like This :

Before Optimize : 240 KB After Optimize : 104 KB
Before Optimize : 413 KB After Optimize : 79 KB
BMP Format Before Optimize : 1.2 MB Optimize & Convert TO *.Jpg :225 KB

You Can Reduce Image Size Without Loosing Quality ( -4% )

There are Various Software For Optimize Image Size : ADOBE PHOTOSHOP , ACDSEE , Advanced JPEG Compressor & ...

In ACDSEE You Can Use " Convert File Format " (Ctrl+F) And Use " Format Setting And Reduce File Size

Advanced JPEG Compressor : One Of The Best Software For Reduce *.jpg Image Size
Recommend When You Want To Reduce A Group of Images.

ADOBE Photoshop Is Recommend For Most Users. After Run Photoshop And Open Your Image Then
From "File" Menu Choose >>Save For Web Or Press "Alt+Shf+Ctrl+s

You Can Choose Various Setting And Format For Your Image. After Choose Or Edit Setting You Will See The Size Of File On Kbytes And The Time For Load This Image With This Setting In 56.6 Kbps

For 640*480 And Higher Size Mostly Recommend To Choose *.JPEG Format Cause You Can Optimize Size Better

*.GIF Is Recommend For Banner ( Small Pics) Or Image With Alpha Channel

For JPEG Format Recommend Choose "High Quality" 60% , Remember If You have a lot of Text On Your Image For Prevent Pixelize Around The Text You Must Choose Maximum Quality.

For Normal Photos "high Quality" Is 100% Ok !

At End Click On Save , Then Choose Directory That You Want And Click On save

Don't Forget That When You Optimize The Size Of File You Lose Some Ability On Your Image.
For Example If You Have A photo With Big Size & Resolution You Can Zoom In with High Detail Without lose Quality So Optimize When You know Visitors Don't Need & Like To Zoom or See High Details
Like Most Of The Wallpapers .But when You Take A shot From A Butterfly On Flowers Or Something Like This All Visitors Like To Zoom and Enjoy Of Details.

Most Of The Visitors Don't Like To Spend A lot Of Time For View And Save Photo From Web And that's Only Point We Optimize Size Of Images.

Thanks For Read , So Sorry For Take Your Time For This Basic Point But Hope Useful For Someone Happy :heart

Post replies:

1 decade ago (14.04.2006 02:52)
Reply by: Snowman
Sorry but I have to point out a few things here....

1) Please use paragraphs (hard returns) when posting long posts
2) Never use capital letter on every word

This makes it more or less impossible to properly read and understand.
I gave up reading it half way through the first line.

You post may be helpful to some, but you will "loose" a few typing like that.

And now back to your regular scheduled postings.
1 decade ago (14.04.2006 07:53)
Reply by: MountainHawk
Congratulation I fully concur Snowman! Congratulation
1 decade ago (14.04.2006 12:21)
Reply by: AM.FX
<<< thank you so much SnowMan for your useful guide about optimize long post >>>

optimize & reduce size of images for web (faster upload=Faster Download) some
times we Need To Reduce The Size Of Image For Faster Upload , Load , ...

for example in web design you must optimize the size of images that use on a web page.
i test some software like Bryce , 3D Max , maya , screen capture software , ... and
the result in 1024*768 is like this :

before optimize : 240 KB after Optimize : 104 KB
before optimize : 413 KB after Optimize : 79 KB
BMP format before optimize : 1.2 MB optimize & convert to *.Jpg :225 KB
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you can reduce image size without loosing quality ( -4% )

There are Various Software For Optimize Image Size : ADOBE PHOTOSHOP , ACDSEE
, Advanced JPEG Compressor & ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
In ACDSEE You Can Use " Convert File Format " (Ctrl+F) And Use " Format
Setting And reduce file size
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced JPEG Compressor : one of the best software for reduce *.jpg image size recommend when you want to reduce a group of images.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ADOBE Photoshop : recommend for most users. after run photoshop and open your
image then from "File" Menu Choose >>Save For web or press "Alt+Shf+Ctrl+s

you can choose various setting and format for your image. after choose or edit setting

you will see the size of file on Kbytes and the time for load this image with this
setting in 56.6 Kbps

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for 640*480 and higher size recommend to choose *.JPEG Format cause You
can optimize size better

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*.GIF Is recommend for banner ( Small Pics) or image with alpha channel for JPEG
format recommend choose "High quality" 60%
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

remember If You have a lot of text on your image for prevent Pixelize around the
text You must choose Maximum quality.

for normal Photos "high Quality" Is 100% Ok ! At End Click On Save , Then Choose Directory That You Want And Click On save

Don´t Forget That When You Optimize The Size Of File You Lose Some Ability
On Your Image.

for example If You have a photo with big Size & resolution You can zoom In with high
detail Without lose Quality So Optimize when You know visitors don´t need & Like
To zoom or see high details like most of the wallpapers

but when You Take A shot From A Butterfly On Flowers Or Something Like This All
Visitors Like To Zoom and Enjoy Of Details.

most of the Visitors don´t like To spend a lot of time for view and Save Photo from Web
and that´s only Point We optimize Size Of Images.

thanks for read , so sorry for take your time for This basic point but hope Useful for someone
Happy
1 decade ago (15.04.2006 03:44)
Reply by: TAXIFUNK
Amazed Congratulation thanks for redoing that. Plus its all in a language quite foreign I would think. Really looks better now + helpful info in there.

Webdesign - a great topic. And image compression or optimization, too! Some places call for highly compressed thumbs. For a starter, I got around photoshop which is much better I think by using a free thing like thumbcreator 2005 or something. Then you can hotlink to a big zoom only for those interested in each given thumb.

Luckily, at Skinbase I don´t see any hard limits for big file sizes and skin sizes including ANIMATED previews. Of course, those load a while in some peoples browsers. So your optimizing is a good idea.

The other day saalien proved to me 1 zoom preview can be 1600x1200 here, allowing to show 4 wallz or things zipped into the same skin file rather well. But this is rare, especially on sites with good traffic, to find servers like that. Optimizing helps to get to more people in an agreeable way in the beginning. Most of them dont have advanced browser or their own computer. Often they are at work + dont have much time.

So btw, I should optimize myself out of here now, Running - need to go installing hardware. Cya and THANKS
1 decade ago (15.04.2006 03:06)
Reply by: sed
My jpg or preview images load fairly quick but my 1280 and 1024 in zip is STILL about 5 mb Downloading and uploading isnt very fast but I dont know any way around that while keeping the zip true to the original. More suggestions?? Cool
1 decade ago (15.04.2006 04:05)
Reply by: Xav73
I recomend use infranview and make all in jpg :
for good compression move the slider at 80%
for exelent compression\size move at 90%
and for best at 95%

I never use the 100% is not utile !!!

when i make all my screenshot or the preview for my skin I try in first in 85 and if the result is not very good (depending the number of color) I use the compression 90% or in max if the image need a big quality the level 95%
1 decade ago (15.04.2006 05:51)
dear sed I think you must use zip compressions only when you have several size of one image or files. so if you have just one image in any size it recommend taht you use image compressor like photoshop , irfanview , ...

specialy when some user have problem with extract *.zip files and need some software like winrar or winzip. also the zip files may corrupted in Download and the user must start to download again.

but if you want to zip some images you can choose various setting for compress and reduce the size of zip file.

I don`t khow what software you use but i work with winrar it`s powerful and simple and you can optimize your zip file with set Compression method On Best

Winzip is similar
1 decade ago (15.04.2006 05:55)
thanks XAv73 , I forget This useful Software . Irfanview is a lite software but too strong for view , convert formats , compressions Congratulation