Another ripper...

Yrgal / 1 decade ago (31 August 2005 10:42)

These have already been removed from Wincustomize. Info about originals in the comments section and he´s had more than enough time to remove them himself by now.

http://www.skinbase.org/rate.php?skins=24929
http://www.skinbase.org/rate.php?skins=25026

Post replies:

1 decade ago (21.04.2006 03:45)
Reply by: Mark Ackerson
Plagiarism is defined as not giving credit where credit is due, and passing something off as one´s own work that is clearly someone else´s work. This permission stardard has warped itself to it´s present state. If I receive money for an essay with a Mark Twain quote, some of the proceedings don´t go to his estate, and I´m not sued for it. I understand that this permission craze is in flux, but it needs relaxing. If you look at my side bar menu in Halo DX theme, I have 10 pictures in the slide show and I haven´t given credit let alone sought permission. I´ve spent hours doing this theme and much of the artwork has been radically altered - a heck of a lot of work. If I saw my bitmap on the net and credit was given, that should be enough. This ´mother may I?´ slant has to become more realistic and join the concepts of the rest of the world. It´s like every bit of art has a patent pending stamp on it. If you don´t want it used, then put an overlay mark on it, or don´t upload it. When I visit a photo exhibit, I don´t see signed permission slips under each picture. Nuff said.
1 decade ago (21.04.2006 09:40)
Reply by: MountainHawk
Each individuals art is copyrighted the day they first post as that is the official record publicized and verifiable. If you are going to use other peoples work then you need to obey the laws it is as simple as that. If not create your own work and that negates your problems. All artists have a right to protect their creations and all people have an obligation to respect that right. Cool Wink
1 decade ago (21.04.2006 01:02)
Reply by: Mark Ackerson
t is evident that what I wrote blasted right by you, mountainhawk. When I post a poem to the internet or have it published in a periodical, it too is copyrighted. You only need to credit my work to use it. Sometimes laws need changing. Those who lead will attempt this difficult feat, whereas those who follow will do exactly that. As I said, this has gotten way out of hand. The pendulum will eventually swing my way - it always has and will.
1 decade ago (21.04.2006 07:02)
Reply by: Captain America
Wow.
1 decade ago (22.04.2006 03:32)
Reply by: Yrgal
Copyright is da word. Period.

From the FAQ here at Skinabase:

Q. Can I use so-and-so´s image in my skin?

A. You may only use images you did not create when you have recieved written permission from the artist. You should include this permission as a text file packaged with your skin or wallpaper.

Q. I want to use so-and-so´s image in my skin, but I can´t contact him/her. Can I still use it?

A. No. Written permission must be obtained.
1 decade ago (23.04.2006 01:29)
copyright.
1 decade ago (26.04.2006 12:02)
Reply by: Jamaunzie
I must admit I am guilty of posting an image or two that someone else pointed out to be in violation of copyright
And I took them down I do not know what I missed here but it is possible to make mistakes I myself have approximately 36 cd full of images some I got years ago and some from other people thru e mail and such most if not all have no details as to where they came from with them. I don’t set out to infringe on copyright laws so I believe in giving a person the benefit of the doubt and point out infringement and let them take the appropriate steps to correct the problem. There are plenty of sites with Great Artist that do not mind you using their images as long as you follow their guidelines.

I must admit it seems to me there are way too much animosity and competition on most of these if not all sites where it is free to post your work. I myself don’t want credit for the image ( Heck I could not draw a strait line if I had too ) it is the composition and the art of taking a image making a background and changing it to 16 color BMP and if you don’t think that is hard I ask you to try it sometime. So if you are one that is quick to point out people’s faults please try and do it with some dignity and maybe a little less of a sharp tongue
:adminpk Happy
1 decade ago (26.04.2006 04:12)
I took this photo one sunny morning and now it´s here and I didn´t give any permissions... [LINK] lol I agree with Rick with most of what he had to say anyway. I do see a lot of ´rips´ here and there, but that´s the way of the world. Rock on Garth and I´ll party on.Wink
1 decade ago (02.05.2006 04:35)
[LINK] used with permission or another ripper from Playboy?
1 decade ago (03.05.2006 03:26)
Reply by: MountainHawk
Mark Ackerson...you did not blow right by me at all. If I create a piece of art and it is mine by copyright then how and when it is used is my decision and no-one elses. The work is mine fullstop and that is how the law works. It has not changed yet and until it does that is what you have to live with. People need only take the common, most basic of courtesy´s and ask the artist if they can use or modify the work. That is clearly stated in the submission agreement here and on many other sites. It protects the rights of the artist. Why the hell should we not have a say about our own work...it´s ours! Congratulation Cool Wink
1 2