What I wish every Newbie knew about LiteStep...

Elwin / 2 decades ago (02 January 2002 02:46)

Now come on, ya´ gotta admit that that is a topic that needs to be discussed. Why should LS be only for the heavy hitters?

With new distros like LSD, and OTS out thre now, why not a newbie help section to get folks on the right track right out of the gate?

Sound in the least bit interesting?

{:p

Post replies:

2 decades ago (28.08.2002 04:40)
Reply by: hobnobber
Can any of you translate it to polish??? I could better understand it that way.. I think well maybe... I sure hope so! lol lol
2 decades ago (28.08.2002 10:26)
Reply by: chichigirl46
I´m surprised /hobnobber: you did not tell /grimspoon: where to stick it LOL nice to see you again /grimspoon: and you too Robohead :-) A tutorial and help section would be great, between LitStep and HoverDesk seems difficult and thats why I have not made up my mind on either........
2 decades ago (28.08.2002 11:30)
Reply by: bugzlitey
I have never used Litestep...but I think a tutorial website for any skin that someone can write on is more than over due....I´m afraid of skinning things that take hours...lol...I guess that´s why I stick to wallpapers...
2 decades ago (28.08.2002 07:02)
Reply by: moshi
Pitkon: it is hard for me to believe that you have downloaded more than 2000 themes (as you said in the Demented Forums) and still diss OTS. OTS themes still require reading the readme files that come with the themes. and if a theme requires a recent IndieStep build, the directory structure (OTS is nothing more/nothing less than that) is not to blame if it does not work on older builds. most of the old themes require much more tweaking than setting up a few lines in themeevars.rc.

Chichigirl: LiteStep is indeed hard for beginners. HoverDesk is pretty easy. Honz12 has written an excellent tutorial on that. [LINK] skinning HVD will be easier than skinning WindowBlinds, and HoverInc. is a completely different company than StarDock.

Bugzlitey: a great tutorial on LiteStep themeing can be found at Paul Haines site: [LINK] there are many other helpful tutorials as well.
2 decades ago (29.08.2002 12:18)
Reply by: Snowman
Kids, don´t try this at home, untill you have tried [LINK] first :moon
2 decades ago (29.08.2002 12:30)
Reply by: BruB
LOL @ /Snowman:

your not making friends Snow!
2 decades ago (29.08.2002 01:00)
Reply by: Jafo
Well...here I am at the moment, chatting with Thibaud on ICQ, and responding to Mister Snow that LiteSTEP is the ´bee´s knees´...and listen to moshi....I´m rapidly becoming a total convert to OTS...after developing my own theme system...and even adapting that to OTS [bit of a headache that one]...Wink
2 decades ago (29.08.2002 07:41)
Reply by: chichigirl46
Thanks moshi, I´ll check your link out :-)
2 decades ago (29.08.2002 09:19)
Jafo I ain´t sayin that LS is crap (bee´s knee´s) in anyway! I just think is blantantly stupid that you have to alter like a kazillion systemfiles to get a program working. (yeah I know there are certain "installers" available).
I also know I really can´t "be a part of the conversation" cause I haven´t actually had a serious try at LS. I´ve actually only tried it once and it took me ages just get the silly thingy running close to "normal" and even longer to get the thing of my system again. But hey that was like err... three or four years ago and alot has happend since then, not only to LS but also to my knowledge about what goes on "behind the desktop", and I won´t say that I will never try LS again.... but I use/love Hoverdesk at the moment so I see no reason/need for me to have a swing at LS right now Happy

PS: all that sh*t I spew out about LS being EVIIIILLL Wink is all just for the fun of it (but I reckon you´re a smart enuff guy to have figured that out by now)
Hell.. there prolly are alot more peepz that preferres LS over HvD (for some reason unknown to me Wink )

:snow gives /Jafo: a big fat kiss - you silly Aussie type person you :p hehe
2 decades ago (29.08.2002 01:05)
Snowman: i love and use both. so i get the best of both worlds first, without having to wait for a port Happy once again: if you want to set HoverDesk as shell (that is possible with version 2.50) you have to do EXACTLY the same operations as with LiteStep. that´s just the nature of things if you want to replace exploder and not only spice it up.
2 decades ago (29.08.2002 01:13)
btw: i have even some hybrid desktops, where i run LiteStep modules on top of a HoverDesk shell. that is possible without installing LiteStep.
2 decades ago (29.08.2002 01:40)
HvD breeding LS?! yikes..... HoverStep?! LiteDesk?! hehe Wink
Well I´m having no plans for useing HvD as shell. Exploder is good enuff for me Happy
2 decades ago (29.08.2002 03:21)
Reply by: Jafo
Egad...I´m still recovering from being kissed by Mr. Snow.......Ew....LOL

2 decades ago (29.08.2002 04:20)
Reply by: Elwin
Moshi: want to give us (actually, ME) a hint on how you´re doing that litestep module thing? That sounds outright facinating. Happy

Jafo: wipe your cheek - Snow´s lipstick is still smeared on ya´... :P
2 decades ago (29.08.2002 05:46)
hehe watch it Mr. Martin there´s more where if came from!! :moon (<-- not there btw) Wink

Well yeah oki.... moshi envolve us ya lill "secret" Happy

:snow blows a kiss to /Elwin:
1 2 3