What I wish every Newbie knew about LiteStep...

Elwin / 2 decades ago (02 January 2002 02:46)

Now come on, ya´ gotta admit that that is a topic that needs to be discussed. Why should LS be only for the heavy hitters?

With new distros like LSD, and OTS out thre now, why not a newbie help section to get folks on the right track right out of the gate?

Sound in the least bit interesting?

{:p

Post replies:

2 decades ago (29.08.2002 11:26)
Reply by: moshi
Elwin: that´s not really a big deal. i am running HoverDesk as shell and also run a very barebone LiteStep theme. no need to install LiteStep, double clicking LiteStep.exe or starting it with a script at logging in is enough.

it is also important to set LSNoshellWarning to true in step.rc, so you won´t get an error message that there is an other shell already loaded.

i am only loading the LiteStep modules i really need (no desktop or popup module for example). HoverDesk has no own system tray when running as shell, therefore i want the most eyecandy and flexible systray there is (LS of course). i also want a hotkey to hide/show the tray.

basic example:

===================================================
LSImageFolder "$LiteStepDir$images"
LSNoshellWarning

LoadModule $LiteStepDir$systray2.dll
LoadModule $LiteStepDir$hotkey.dll

SystrayX -100
SystrayY -35
SystrayAutoSize
SystrayWidth 94
SystrayHeight 28
SystrayDirection Left
SystrayIconSpacingX 4
SystrayBitmap tray.bmp
SystrayBitmapTiled
SystrayBorderLeft 20
SystrayBorderRight 6
SystrayBorderTop 5
SystrayBorderBottom 5
SystrayAlwaysOnTop

*Hotkey CTRL T !SystrayToggle
==================================================

drawbacks: the systray is not draggable as in LiteStep. i guess it needs a LiteStep desktop for that.
i can´t use the CTRL+W hotkey to toggle the tray as this key combination is occupied by HVD.

the big advantage is LS´s modularity. i only load the stuff i need and therefore the resource use is very low. Happy

2 decades ago (30.08.2002 02:30)
Reply by: Jafo
Many years ago I created a LS theme with 2 Wharfs....back when wharfs were still popular...by running 2 instances of Litestep.exe at the same time...one as shell and the other as a wharf loader.

I had to employ ´tricks´ to get around any issue of ´recycling´ but it worked like a charm....and that was back around 0.24.1 or there-abouts.

Some modules have stand-alone exe´s with them as well, so LiteSTEP is even more versatile than just another shell replacement...Wink
2 decades ago (30.08.2002 05:56)
Reply by: brain4
isd ave the news french sites to litestepand is call
http;//www.litestep-production.org
and is need the members and the skins is the excelent ans very good sites
2 decades ago (30.08.2002 08:30)
Reply by: Snowman
:snow wish he could Jafos face when he reads brian4s post
dang he must be getting a heartattack LOL LOL Wink hehe
2 decades ago (31.08.2002 03:03)
Reply by: Jafo
....gasp....stammer.....groan.....CPR......quick....;p