foobar

ORION / 2 decades ago (16 November 2003 04:39)

I just installed foobar, long time fan of winamp. Is it possible that foobar is BETTER then winamp??

So far im liking the sound very much.

Post replies:

2 decades ago (16.11.2003 08:41)
Reply by: craeonics
Been using foobar for many moons now. According to them (and stated repeatedly) any difference in sound between WinAmp and foobar is purely coincidental.

Anyhow, prime reason for me to use it is native musepack support (I rip all my cd´s to musepack), a super flexible playlist and slick plugins like "gap killler" and "skip silence".
2 decades ago (16.11.2003 08:48)
Reply by: CutTheRedWire
Better overall is a matter of oppinion in these things.

Winamp is well designed to do what it aims for (though not without flaws), and so is foobar. Foobar does a LOT less than winamp though, but that naturally means it will use less resources.

For strickly music, they both play it.
For resources, they are both easy on them, but foobar probly wins.
For functionality, both have a lot of options, heck winamp can even play movies.

For looks, it depends on what you like and use.
If you want to see nothing, both have try things.
If you want native skinning, winamp wins.
If you want something that matches, you should be able to find a winamp skin, but foobar uses windows colors (and a window skinner should handle it too).

Lastly, if you are using LiteStep, then winamp is practically integrated into almost every theme since most of them have winamp control and displays. That´s why I switched from sonique to winamp. Foobar can be configured to have controls, but not displays (yet). Winamp wins this one.
2 decades ago (17.11.2003 12:38)
Reply by: ORION
well, since I posted this, I have found the sound quality 1-3x better clarity over all.
skins are a pain in the ass. Thats as far as I have gotton so far. Yes of course winamp will be implamented in most components then foobar, as its been around forever. The limitations with foobar appear to be many. Unfortunately.
But the sound, if thats what you are after, is superior.
2 decades ago (17.11.2003 01:56)
Reply by: jim373
I use Winamp 2 with DFX and find the combination to be superior to anything else I have tried..... Grin
Just my preferance of course.... Happy
2 decades ago (17.11.2003 07:48)
Umtimately, both merely are fancy jukebox programs.
2 decades ago (17.11.2003 06:31)
i dont understand that comment.
2 decades ago (17.11.2003 10:59)
Well, ya know what a jukebox is right? Wait.. I think I spelled that wrong. Let me know if ya know what I mean. ^.^;
2 decades ago (18.11.2003 10:15)
Translation: both WinAmp and foobar are fine apps, so whatever floats your boat is fine with me (´me´ being red here).
2 decades ago (21.11.2003 06:42)
Reply by: batoruco
Music is always over the looks of the player, to me at least, I don´t mind about skins any longer, I stand WinAmp2, can´t stand WinAmp3, I downloaded FooBar, sounds pretty good, but can´t see some controls I like for playlists. Aside that, I would prefer foobar, those using WindowBlinds can find it takes those skins and looks quite decent. In the end, I repeat, it´s music that matters, and just to finish, I always find that the best way to listen to pc music is to turn the volume up without any other eq or similar effect, sound engineers have already made a hell of a job!
2 decades ago (22.11.2003 05:18)
try winamp 5
better then both 2 and 3
i got rid of foobar, too much time trying to tweak it rather then listining to it.
2 decades ago (22.11.2003 08:34)
/me tweaks while listening.
2 decades ago (25.11.2003 04:42)
/me only needs a lil preset base or techno eq >:}
1 decade ago (10.05.2006 06:38)
Reply by: mickeblue
Any player is only as good as the codecs you have that it can load ( sounds like I know what I´m talking about lol ). I love the look of Winamp, but I´m not prepared to give it that much space on a limited HD just for the eye-candy, so I use Coolplayer.
Foo is great, but at the other end of the spectrum, IMHO it´s bloody boring!

Have a look at Spoons website for links to the best codecs available ~ [LINK]
1 decade ago (12.05.2006 11:06)
Reply by: mickeblue
Way to go...

at the risk of being boring, if you haven´t got a copy of this ~ [LINK] ~ get yourself one and you´ll be amazed at how much better your rips sound.